Alpha version 5.05 of the BLOB streaming engine for MySQL has been released. You can download the source code from www.blobstreaming.org/download. The documentation has also been updated .
What's new in 5.05:
- A 'C' API has been added for client applications. It provides all the basic functions needed to connect to the BLOB streaming engine and upload and download BLOBs efficiently.
- A test client application has been added to the project to demonstrate the use of the new API.
- Added discover table support for the engine's system tables.
- Simplified the configuration: To configure the engine all you have to do is provide the path to the MySQL source tree (after building MySQL). All build options are taken from the MySQL build.
- And of course there are assorted bug fixes, details of which are listed in the Changelog.
Of interest to other engine developers may be the way that I implemented 'discover tables'. I have created a very generic function that takes a structure similar to that used by schema plug-ins and generates the required 'frm' file. Implementation is contained in the file BSDiscover.cc and you can see how it is used in ha_mybs.cc.